I’ve to confess, most of my youth was spent in and across the garages of Werner Meier, one of the notable of Corvette collectors and lovers within the nation. Those garages which had been stuffed with not solely his Corvettes, however these of his clients for restoration over time. I used to be extremely spoiled in seeing each Corvette it appears. With that quantity of publicity to all of these Corvettes, you shortly discover your favorites and least.
Bringing me to the C2, the crown jewel. While I appreciated the C1, the bubbly traces, which had been a product of its debut within the ‘50s, that just didn’t vibe. No, I appreciated when these traces developed to change into extra modern and edgy, bringing in regards to the C2.
If you’re not conversant in the story of Corvette, the C2 could be the moniker’s saving grace. While Corvette was doing “alright” within the ‘50s, and was finally competing in racing starting in 1957, GM wasn’t having it, and this system was almost killed off. Bill Mitchell, the chief designer of the Corvette on the time, would find yourself funding the event of the C2 out of his personal pocket. When I had an opportunity to take heed to designer Peter Brock speak about Bill’s work on the C2, he talked about GM’s circumstances to maintain the automotive: It was not allowed to hold the “Chevrolet” or “Corvette” title. So, the “Sting Ray” was born. Bill’s direct contributions would hold the Corvette going from there.
- C2: What a wonderful second starting.
- C3: There are usually two Corvettes that check with the “iconic” Corvette most everybody (okay, actually boomers) love, and that’s the C2 and the C3. The traces had been somewhat extra aggressive, and modern on the C3.
- C7: The C7 introduced Corvette again to a physique fashion that emulated the traces of it’s fiesty C2 and C3 brethren that designers kinda hid over the many years in-between.
- C8: While I agree, the mid-engine doesn’t really feel very “Corvette-like,” it’s nonetheless an outstandingly designed car, sustaining the traces of Corvette heritage, whereas making a mid-engine sports activities automotive accessible to just about everybody. Sometimes in design, you want someplace to go, and Corvette determined to go all-in.
- C4: This little door wedge was close to the tip of my rating, however after driving this man, I fell in love with the retro dashboard, and simply needed to transfer it up. Sure, it’s a wedge, however there are nonetheless sharp design traces, enjoyable colours, and certain the final time Corvette actually felt like a Corvette till C7.
- C1: The 1953’s traces and subsequent years till C2 had been just a bit too rounded. The ‘60-‘62 did start adding some angles, but still… too bubbly.
- C6: I am embarrassed most of my writers considered this gen their favorite, but I understand where they come from when they say the Corvette of your youth, is your favorite. Just mine (C4) didn’t make as excessive on my record. The C6 was the continuation of the inflated look of the awkward GM design period, and begged to be edgier.
Which brings me to the final on the record….